I recently shared a picture of the amazing Chinese Crispy Chilli Beef that my husband made and it got a little bit of love.
My husband absolutely loves cooking and trying to either perfect his own recipes or finding perfect ones to follow. I can’t even begin to tell you how many different variations of crispy chilli beef I have tried! This particular recipe is one he found online, below will be links to the YouTube videos that will show step by step guide and here is their YouTube channel, they are definitely the best recipes.
Ingredients for the Crispy Chilli Beef:
- 400g Topside Beef
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp MSG (Food Enhancer)
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 4 dessert spoons potato starch (or cornflour)
- 2 dessert spoons custard powder
- 1 egg.
The video step by step guide can be found here.
- Cut the topside beef into thin strips.
- Bathe the beef in salt water to draw out the redness of the meat. – Atleast for 1 hour but for best results over night. Then rinse.
- Beat the Egg and add a pinch of salt
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (Salt,MSG,Pepper,Potato Starch, Custard Powder) and split in two halves.
- Mix the beef in the first half of dry mixture, lightly coating.
- Pour the Egg over the beef and mix, making sure it is all coated.
- Switch the oil on to high.
- Separate the pieces of beef and put in the second half of the dry mix, making sure they’re thoroughly coated (may want to do this in batches for ease).
- Put the Beef strips into the oil.
- Turn the oil down to half heat and leave the beef in the oil for 5-10 minutes, continuing to check the crispiness, when happy with the texture, remove.
- Leave the beef for 20-30 minutes to reach room temperature.
- Place the Beef back into the oil at mid-high heat for 5 minutes until desired crispiness.
Ingredients for the Sauce:
- 2 dessert spoons oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Pineapple chunks (desired amount)
- Onion Strips (desired amount)
- Carrot strips (desired amount)
- Red Pepper Strips (desired amount)
- 2 dessert spoons soy sauce
- Heaped tsp blended garlic
- 0.5 tsp MSG
- 250ml Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Cornflour and Water Mixture
- 2 dessert spoons HP Sauce
- Worcestershire Sauce
To watch a step by step guide, here is a link to the YouTube video.
- Heat Oil and add the onions, peppers and carrots. once softened add the pineapple.
- Add the MSG, Garlic and HP Sauce – cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a couple of splashes of Worcestershire sauce, the sweet & sour sauce, chilli flakes and soy sauce.
- Bring mixture to the boil- then let it simmer.
- Add the cornflour/water mixture to thicken – you want it nice, thick and sticky.
- Add the beef and coat in the sauce.